Created by OnePlusYou

Feb 9, 2010

Cast Adventure.


Stairs are now my enemy. I only have 5 steps to get into my first floor apartment, but they totally kick my ass. Both ways. Basically, I stand, staring at them for...3-5 minutes, while getting words of encouragement from my partner/parents/friends. I think about jumping-good go up, bad go down. Then I get nervous. I make someone hold one crutch...then the other. Maybe I'll ask for one back, or both. Then I maybe hop to the railing...or slink back to the car. Maybe I push away the crutches again...and then decide to crawl up, or down the steps. I pull myself up, or slide down the stairs. I then use a chair to claw my way back up to the height needed to actually get back on my foot and use the crutches to hobble to my next location. It's awesome. I'm so brave. By the time I get into the car(if I'm going down the stairs) I'm sooooo exhausted, and my leg/foot/ankle is sooooo pissed off at me. It becomes ThrobbyMcThroberson, taunting me to lay back down....enticing me to take more pain meds. Bastard leg.









after some xrays, i was wheeled to the casting room. I stayed in my chair. the doctor met me after a few moments. She explained that she wished to put me in a hard cast and why. I understood, thus we were in agreement, so onward to staple removal and casting we went.




Here they are, in all of their glory. 29-30 staples. I had been feeling like an Office Depot. It felt really good to get these suckers out of my skin. It hurt like hell. The doctor used tweezers to pluck them out, one by one. They oozed with blood. She covered the incision with tape as she worked.











The doctor wrapped my incision in a new dressing, layered my leg with fresh cotton and then started the process of wrapping my leg w/ the casting. She dipped each piece in water w/ fiberglass somethin' and pressed it to my leg.


As she wrapped the layers, I felt the cast heat up, as the fiberglass activated(like some sort of radioactive super hero). Before it dried, the doctor forced my foot into a 90 degree angle. She told me that it would help me when I started walking again. My ankle would be less stiff, easier to bend. I was left with a rather thick, but lighter than my previous splint, cast. Patriot blue. We'll be spending at least the next 4 weeks together. I know we'll be great friends.


Ms. Joanna Testa was the first to sign it.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on joining the cast club :D

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love the color!
    Sarah T :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna it looks like those staples were really painful. Did they give you any kind of local anesthetic when they pulled them out? Did they hurt coming out as much as it looks like it would? I cringe just looking at it! :( I'm glad the cast only has to stay on for 4 weeks, when I had one on my ankle it stayed for 12 weeks I believe. It smelled REALLY bad when it came off! haha, that's really what I remember most.

    ReplyDelete