Created by OnePlusYou

Feb 3, 2010

"it's totes not my fault, like 4 realz"

So, folks know that basically, I can't feel my right foot. Right? well, now you know.

It's not swollen, but it's numb...all along the top and sides. My OS saw me yesterday to rewrap the post surgical splint/xray/take a look. She wanted to make sure the stuff wasn't too tight(It wasn't). She strongly felt that this had to do w/ my back. And, after all of the crazy stuff my back did, I was certainly willing to consider that. She made it very clear that she had been "no where near any nerves that could result in what I'm describing"-she said she'd send her notes to my back doc. I have my actual post op w/ her next Tuesday.

I called and left a message w/ my back surgeon. They promptly called back 1st thing this morning. The doctor had reviewed the MRI done on the 27th(a day pre-op) and said that he saw "nothing that would contribute to what i was describing". His nurse expressed that the logical conclusion to "my foot wasn't numb, then i had surgery on my leg. Annnnnd now it is" would be: something  happened during the surgery. Or that the hardware was compressing a nerve (if you've seen my xray- basically, my right fibula is almost all metal now-look at the top of the page). She recommended that I, again, talk to the leg doc.

So, I, being the "Type A when it comes into question if I'm going to be able to walk again" personally that I (apparently) am,  called the leg doc and left a message. She called back and AGAIN asserted that she really didn't think she did anything to my nerves and that it make perfect sense that my back is back in play or I'm swollen. We agreed to wait until next Tuesday. If my foot is still numb, "we're" going to order an EMG. Well, at least she calls me.

So, yep. I'm going to stop talking about my numb foot until tuesday. Unless, it stops....or something terrible happens. Then you won't be able to shut me up :)

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so your situation is a bit different than mine ever was, you have a lot more going on with your body. However I just want to say that I had a doctor say that exact thing to me,"no where near any nerves that could result in what I'm describing" and it was complete BS. I still can not feel parts of my lower back/top of my ass. And now I am completely confident that it's all this doctors fault. Doctors (not all, but I've had it happen more than once) often times like to pressure their patients with the "I'm a doctor, therefor shut up" kind of attitude, so just be cautious, and stand up for yourself when necessary!

    P.S. that xray with the pins... ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren- was this the surgery you had that ended you up in the er in VT??

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad had a knee replacement several weeks ago and was having numbness in his hand afterwards. They were saying it had something to do with the anesthesia...this reminds me, I should ask him how he's doing with that...
    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete